The burner assembly was shipped to me three days ago. One log was broken, but HD customer service said a replacement would be shipped. I placed the pieces of the broken log into the assembly and will use it until I receive one that is intact.The enclosed manual was legible, but the assembly and installation procedures were not in order, in my opinion. I installed the batteries into the receiver battery compartment, before placing the burner assembly into the fireplace. After installing the batteries, I placed the cover over the compartment and pushed in. An audible sound (beep) indicated that the batteries had made contact with the metal part of the circuit that was attached to the inside of the cover. The cover was not easy to latch to the compartment. When I pushed in on the top of the cover to latch it, the batteries (which were resting on springs) pushed out and unlatched the cover. On the third try it did not pop out and I assumed that it was latched. I decided to go ahead and install the receiver's 3-position slider plate over the battery compartment to keep the cover from unlatching.I then placed the burner assembly inside the fireplace and made all connections. I decided to initially check the unit in the manual mode and it worked fine. (Note: When lighting the pilot light for the first time, instead of using the Piezo, I recommend using matches or a lighter that you would use to light a barbeque grill. The reason is because when the unit is first assembled, the gas lines are full of air and it takes time for the air to be purged before gas will reach the pilot assembly. A steady flame is better to place at the pilot tube, instead of repeatedly pressing the Piezo for a spark.).I installed the batteries into the remote control and switched the receiver to the remote mode. The manual stated that pressing the button on the control would automatically mesh the remote control to the receiver. After repeatedly pressing the button for awhile, my first thought was that there was a problem with the receiver battery cover. After taking off the receiver's 3-position slider cover, I pushed in on the battery compartment cover and the receiver beeped at me. I knew that the cover had not previously been properly attached, when I heard the click as it did attach. After this, I pushed on the remote button and the burner lighted. I turned off the pilot light, the gas supply, and placed the logs.The only complaint that I have about the unit was the initial odor when it was first lighted. It was very strong, but thankfully the weather was relatively nice at this time of the year. I opened the damper fully and cracked a window. The odor reminds me of an oil-burning furnace. The flames may be curing an oil-based paint on the logs because the strength of the odor has diminished over the past three days. Now, the odor is not as bad as the smoke from real wood logs. Eventually, I think the smell will diminish to an acceptable level. Presently, I have adjusted my fireplace damper to a small crack for ventilation.I have reduced the rating for this burner assembly to four stars because of the odor. It is a realistic unit that gives off very nice flames and provides a relaxing atmosphere. The remote mode is still great!