- Store SKU:
Choose the #1 Selling Home Standby Generator Brand. Generac’s 20kW Guardian Series provides the automatic backup power you need to protect your home and family during a power outage. Connected to your existing LP or natural gas fuel supply, it kicks in within seconds of determining power loss—automatically—and runs for as long as necessary until utility power returns. Control your power. Control your life.
- Want to learn about Standby generators and find the right one for you? Click here for our generator selector tool
- SYSTEM INCLUDES: 20 kW generator, 200 Amp transfer switch, Evolution controller, and composite mounting pad. Mobile Link and 26R battery purchased separately.
- 24/7 GENERAC CUSTOMER CARE support 365 days a year. Power outages do not always occur during normal working hours – that is why we are standing by.
- GENERAC’S OHVI ENGINE is purpose-built to run dependably for extended periods, delivering power when you need it most.
- GENERAC’S EVOLUTION CONTROLLER features a dual-line, multilingual LCD display allowing for easy monitoring and management of generator functions, built-in hour meter, and external “at-a-glance” indicator lights.
- CERTIFIED FOR 18” INSTALLATION TO THE HOME (3rd Party-certified to NFPA standards provided it is located away from doors, windows and fresh air intakes, and unless otherwise directed by local codes.)
- EASY INSTALLATION with an intelligent pre-wired transfer switch, re-engineered connection points, and composite mounting pad that eliminates the need for a poured concrete base (unless specified by local codes.) Get it installed 800-557-5221
- TOOL-LESS FUEL CONVERSION allows for easy switching between natural gas and LP fuels in the field.
- RATED FOR OPERATION IN AREAS WITH LOW NATURAL GAS PRESSURE, significantly lower than published numbers for competitive standby systems (Generac is the only manufacturer to certify operation on only 3.5” of water column.)
- STURDY, ALL-WEATHER ALUMINUM ENCLOSURE WITH RHINOCOAT FINISH for superior corrosion-resistant protection from the elements, making it ideal for coastal, salt-air climates and able to withstand 150 mph winds.
- QUIET-TEST weekly self-test mode runs at a lower rpm, is quieter, and consumes less fuel . Sound-dampening enclosures are lined with foam panels for further noise reduction.
- DPM TECHNOLOGY intelligently manages household loads for a more affordable standby solution.
- TRUE POWER™ TECHNOLOGY provides clean, smooth operation of sensitive electronics and appliances.
- MOBILE LINK™ COMPATIBLE - wireless remote monitoring system. Receive status updates using your computer, tablet, or smart phone - giving you peace of mind, even when you’re away (purchased separately).
- THE GENERAC PROMISE - Engineered and built in the USA supported by a five year limited warranty and 24/7 customer care support 365 days a year.
- MFG Model # : 6244
- MFG Part # : 6244
- Assembled Depth (in.) :
- 48 in
- Assembled Height (in.) :
- 25 in
- Assembled Width (in.) :
- 29 in
- Certifications and Listings :
- 1-UL Listed,CSA Listed
- Color Family :
- Color Family :
- Commercial / Residential :
- Continuous Wattage :
- ENERGY STAR Certified :
- Engine Displacement (cc) :
- Engine manufacturer :
- Hour Meter :
- Low oil shutdown :
- Manufacturer Warranty :
- 5 Year Limited
- Operational volume (dB) :
- Product Height (in.) :
- Product Weight (lb.) :
- Product Width (in.) :
- Remote Monitoring :
- Sold Separately
- Response time (sec.) :
- Returnable :
- Width :
Most orders process within 3 business days
Please allow 2-6 business days for Curbside Truck Shipping (By Appointment) in the Continental U.S., plus order processing time. Deliveries are made to receiving area/dock for Businesses or curbside for Residential orders. The carrier will contact you to make a delivery appointment with a 4 hour window once the items have arrived at the local hub in your area. Delivery appointments are required.
If product is eligible for shipping to AK, HI and US Territories additional transit time and remote surcharges may apply.
- Failed twice when we needed it
- By: MFROMNJ
- From: NJ
- November 28, 2012 3/5
- Rating the Generac 20KW generator is something of a problem because I have nothing to compare it to. Most reviews here seem quite happy. My experience has been less so and I think my ratings are fairly generous.We had the Generac installed by an authorized Generac dealer. The work was done to code with township permits and duly inspected and approved. The gas meter was upgraded to support the load. In short, all the work was done to spec. We have had it less than a year, so it is still under warranty.The first time we needed the generator, it kicked on but failed to transfer power to the house. The installer came out and checked it, offering the opinion that the circuit board had an intermittent fault. It could not be reproduced and we fought long and hard with the dealer to have the board replaced - which they finally did.Things went well until Irene struck the east coast. Just over 2 days into running the generator and it failed again. I tried calling the company that installed it, but they were unreachable. I called Generac and got the name of another authorized installer who I could reach and who did come out the next day, diagnosing the problem as a broken throttle controller. (The guys who came out told me it was the second one they encountered that day.) Unfortunately, they did not have a replacement part. They did, however charge me $166 for an emergency visit. I had agreed to this, thinking that since I could not reach my installer, I better go with someone I could reach. And anyway, Generac would reimburse this...right? (They did not. They told me they do not reimburse for emergency service.) Their visit was not a total waste, however. See workaround below. And there was no charge to replace the part when it did come in.Further adding to my grief, it took 10 days for the part to be delivered. During that time, my power had been restored, I had ordered something from CA that made its way to me in NJ in 3 days. Why it took 10 days for a part to come from WI to NJ I can only guess, but it does not leave me with a comfortable feeling for the future.So, about $10,000 later we have a generator that we will never really trust and I wound up spending another $1000 for a backup backup generator.One of my friends also purchased the same unit. He was told, as we were, that they can burn up to a quart of oil per day. I have not seen that issue at all. My friend's unit is too new for him to have any experience with it yet.Since the throttle control was replaced, the generator worked fine the next time we lost power for a few hours. But I did not try running any heavy appliances.I really wanted to like this product. And if it had performed flawlessly, I am sure I would be rating it with five stars across the board. But two failures in less than a year and needing to wait over a week for parts is really just too much. Still, without knowing anything about other products out there I do not know if there would be another product that I would have been happier with.Workaround: The problem with the throttle controller is that it is intended to keep the motor running very close to 3600 RPM. The amount of fuel needs to be adjusted to meet this as the electrical load rises or falls. In fact, I was mostly able to keep the generator running for a few hours at a time by manually working the throttle plate to keep the motor from stalling while we got to a balance with the load in the house and the motor speed. Once set, I would use a wire to keep the throttle in place and make only minimal variations in the load, a few lights on or off, etc. No heavy appliances. Ultimately, the generator would shut down for either overspeed or underspeed conditions and I had to do the whole thing again.
- Continue Reading
- Worth it!
- By: k4ea1
- From: Chicago, IL
- February 10, 2011 5/5
- Bought this 20Kw in late 2007 and had it professionally installed as part of a home improvement/addition project. Literally the day after installation we had summer tornados blow through and knock out power and downed a record number of trees with record rain on top..Upon power failure the Generac came on line in about 8 seconds.... Power was out for three days. The Generac ran for three days powering everything we needed (and next door neighbor plugged in as well).. Many of our neighbors basements flooded and caused big time damage. This product is worth the price for piece of mind. I do recommend the maintenance package to assure best long term performance. The bi annual package (oil change,spark plugs,battery check etc) costs around $400 a year. The unit itself runs a tad louder than my AC compressors. Absolute no- brainer if you can afford it.
- Continue Reading